Applications: Access Melbourne
Applications for 2013 Semester 1 entry will open at 9.00am on Monday 6 August and close at 5.00pm on Tuesday 9 October 2012. Scholarship applications close at 5.00pm on Friday 19 October 2012.
Before you apply
Applications for Access Melbourne are made using the SEAS (Special Entry Access Scheme) application on the VTAC website. This form allows all universities participating in the VTAC system to receive applications for their special entry schemes. Your SEAS application will be viewed by all the institutions for which you've listed a course preference.
Each of the Access Melbourne eligibility criteria corresponds to a SEAS category:
|Access Melbourne category||Corresponding category for SEAS application|
|Disadvantaged financial background||Category 4: Disadvantaged financial background|
|Applicants from rural or isolated areas||Category 1: Personal information and location|
|Under-represented schools||Category 1: Personal information and location|
|Difficult circumstances||Category 3: Difficult circumstances|
|Disability or medical condition||Category 5: Disability or medical condition|
|Recognition as an Indigenous Australian||Category 1: Personal information and location|
|Non-English speaking background||Category 2: Non-English speaking background|
(non-school leaver entry pathway)
|Category 1: Personal information and location|
Please note that different institutions may have different criteria for the same SEAS category. You should check the SEAS website for details to make sure you're meeting the criteria for all the institutions you wish to apply for. The information on this website applies only to the University of Melbourne.
Applying for Access Melbourne
1. Register and submit a course application with VTAC
2. Login to your VTAC user account and submit a SEAS application, as well as applications for any scholarships you may be eligible for
SEAS applications must be submitted to VTAC by 5.00pm on Tuesday 9 October 2012.
Scholarship applications must be submitted to VTAC by 5.00pm on Friday 19 October 2012.
3. Submit your supporting statements and required evidence to VTAC
All documentation and statements of support must be submitted by 5.00pm on Tuesday 9 October 2012.
- Applying should take approximately one hour
- For categories requiring a personal impact statement, you may find it useful to draft your statement in a word processing program first. This way you can also use the word count to check that you are not exceeding the character limit
- You can complete and submit each category separately if you are eligible for more than one
- You can save an incomplete category entry and complete it later
- Once you have finished a category, you should submit it
- Make sure that all categories are submitted (not just saved) by the deadline
- Try to complete your application well before the deadline — a number of categories will require additional follow-up.
What do I include with my application
Most Access Melbourne categories require evidence to support your claims. Each category has specific evidence requirements, but the type of information required may include:
- An impact statement describing how your circumstances have affected your education
- A statement of support from a responsible, independent person such as a staff member from your school, religious or community leader, doctor or other health professional
- Documentary proof such as certified photocopies of your visa, a Centrelink statement, etc.
Check the eligibility criteria for detailed information about what must be submitted for each category.