Further information for schools
As students are selected into the Kwong Lee Dow Young Scholars Program based on school endorsement and academic performance and leadership potential, schools are encouraged to nominate the students who would most benefit from participating in a tailored academic enrichment program.
The University particularly encourages nomination of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students. Schools are also able to nominate international students to participate in the Program.
Schools can nominate up to five students and at least one and possibly a second will be selected.
The Kwong Lee Dow Young Scholars program selection panel will take the following into consideration when selecting students for the Program:
- Students must be currently enrolled in Year 10 and planning to commence the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE), the South Australian Certificate of Education (SACE), the New South Wales Higher School Certificate (HSC), or the International Baccalaureate (IB) the following year
- Students should be in the top five per cent of their year level in terms of academic performance
- Students must demonstrate evidence of leadership potential, active citizenship and community involvement. Examples include: leadership and strong participation in school activities; community work; cultural, environmental or sporting activities; or representing the school in national competitions or other events.
Schools must also provide an online statement of reference for nominated students. This may include:
- The student’s academic ability
- Leadership roles
- Involvement in the school or wider community
- Participation in cultural, environmental and sporting activities
School staff are asked to provide as much information about the applicant as possible to ensure the selection panel has a complete picture of each applicant.
Schools that teach up to and including Year 10
Schools may nominate Year 10 students who will commence Year 11 at a different school the following year. Nominated students will be asked to advise the name of the school where they intend to complete their Year 11 studies. The University of Melbourne will advise both the school where the student has completed Year 10 and the school where the student is undertaking Year 11 of the outcome of the student’s application.