Benefits of the Kwong Lee Dow Young Scholars Program
Events and activities
As a Kwong Lee Dow Young Scholar, you can take part in an exciting program of academically-focused events and activities.
Being a Young Scholar will not add to your workload – in fact, past participants have found that meeting new friends through the program and attending events really helped with their studies. Most events are held in the school holidays to minimise disruption to your school work. Events aren’t compulsory, but we hope you’ll take part in as many as possible. Events include:
- Welcome Events - a great opportunity make new friends and get to know the University's Parkville campus.
- Case Competitions - build your problem-solving and presentation skills, working in groups with leading University academics.
- VCE Revision Lectures - facilitated by leading teachers and past assessors and are held in key VCE subjects.
- Stay on campus overnight - a great taste of life as a university college resident.
- Open Day Lounge - an annual Open Day Lounge exclusive for our Year 11 and Year 12 Young Scholars who have the opportunity to meet academic staff and current University students.
- Celebration Evening - Young Scholars in Year 12 and their guardians are invited to a special event to celebrate the completion of Year 12.
There are also exclusive Young Scholars events in regional Victoria and other special opportunities to engage at regular University events.
During Years 11 and 12 (the first two years of the program)
Meet students from around Victoria
You’ll be invited to social activities where you can meet and network with other high achieving secondary school students.
Make use of our library
How would being able to access a library network that has over 3.5 million items across 15 locations help your studies? Young Scholars have access to the University of Melbourne library network, which includes specialist libraries in law, business, chemistry, physics, architecture, biomedicine, fine arts and music, online journals and databases.
You’ll find out about activities and events happening at the University of Melbourne, and get updates on our courses, facilities and support services through our e-newsletters and the Young Scholars page on Facebook.
During your first year of University study (third year of the program)
Secure your place at the University of Melbourne
All Kwong Lee Dow Young Scholars who:
- Achieve an ATAR of 95.00 (90.00 if your school is considered an underrepresented school in the year of application)
- Meet all course prerequisites
- Apply for one of the following University of Melbourne degrees through VTAC:
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedicine*
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Environments
- Bachelor of Science
will be guaranteed a place in that course in the year following Year 12 (the normal deferral policy will still apply)#.
This means that even if the Clearly-in Rank for the course is over 95.00, you will still be offered a place*#.
Guarantee does not include Chancellor's Scholars Program. International Kwong Lee Dow Young Scholars are subject to the international guaranteed entry requirements.
*A quota may apply for the Bachelor of Biomedicine.
#Entry cannot be guaranteed into the Bachelor of Music as selection takes into consideration a range of criteria including an audition and musicianship test.
Young Scholars from regional Victoria and interstate can receive a $2,500 relocation allowance to assist with the costs of settling in Melbourne.
Kwong Lee Dow First Year Program
All Kwong Lee Dow Young Scholars who enrol in any University of Melbourne undergraduate degree are invited to participate in the Kwong Lee Dow First Year Program. This provides exciting opportunities to strengthen your academic and leadership capacity and get involved with the community.
During your second or third year of University study
You will be eligible to receive a Melbourne Global Scholars Award (conditions apply) up to the value of $2,500 to study at one of over 170 partner institutions in 38 countries across the world on exchange or on in an approved study abroad program.