Mid-year entry: Graduate students

You don't have to wait until next year to begin your professional development.

Getting started in a graduate course mid-year lets you get ahead of the game and brings you one step closer to your professional goals. Many graduate courses take mid-year applications, ranging from Masters level to Graduate Certificate and all in a variety of different fields. So if you want to start a new career or revitalise your current one, graduate study might be for you.

Your step-by-step guide to mid-year entry

Step 1

Before you apply

Check with the relevant graduate school to find out if the course you're interested in is available for mid-year entry for the appropriate fee type for you:

  • Commonwealth Supported Place for domestic students
  • Australian Fee place for domestic students
  • Overseas Fee place for international students.

Check out the closing dates for applications. Note that these may be different for international students and domestic students.

Thinking about cost?

International students, take a look at our info about fees for international graduate students for fees information, living costs and frequently asked questions and answers.

Domestic students, you might be eligible for FEE-HELP or other financial assistance, and many graduate courses at Melbourne offer Commonwealth Supported Places (CSPs). More information is available on the Options to Finance Graduate Study page. Also, check if you're eligible for Graduate Access Melbourne – this can help you get a CSP, increase your chance of getting into the course of your choice or even provide a $5000 bursary!

Step 2

How to apply

All students should apply online. Remember to make sure you've met all the entry requirements and addressed any selection criteria.

Please note that if you're an international student currently studying at the University of Melbourne and you wish to transfer to another University of Melbourne course, you should apply online directly through your my.unimelb portal. You will find application system under 'My enrolment' in the 'Student admin' section of the portal.

Once you've submitted your application to the relevant Graduate School you will receive an acknowledgement email from the University. Offers will be released in early June.

The University Residential Colleges also accept mid year applicants. Find out more here.