Mid-year entry: Undergraduate international students
Get a head start! Apply now for mid-year entry
We’re welcoming applications for our mid-year (Semester 2) intake in a range of undergraduate courses.
The University Residential Colleges also accept mid-year applicants. Find out more.
Welcoming applications for 2017 mid-year entry:
Some undergraduate courses do not accept applications at mid-year due to the structure of the course.
+ Students intending to commence a major in Actuarial Studies from mid-year must meet the requirements of entry to MAST10006 Calculus 2, i.e. a study score of at least 29 in VCE Specialist Mathematics Units 3 and 4, or IB Higher Level Mathematics.
* The following Bachelor of Science majors cannot be completed within six semesters if commenced mid-year (i.e. Semester 2): Animal Health and Disease; Atmosphere and Ocean Sciences; Food Science; Microbiology, Infection and Immunology.
Mid-year entry standards for international undergraduate applicants
To be eligible for entry to an undergraduate degree you must fulfil all of the following requirements:
- Completed the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) or an equivalent qualification
- Completed each of the prerequisite subjects for the course and any prerequisite tests, interviews or auditions
- Achieved the required marks in each of the prerequisite subjects (see Course Search for details)
- Achieved the minimum Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR), or notional ATAR for the degree (see entry scores for international students)
- Met the English language requirements
Application process for mid-year entry
Current University of Melbourne international students
If you're an international student currently studying at the University of Melbourne and you wish to transfer to another University of Melbourne course at mid-year, you must submit your transfer application via the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC).
Mid-year VTAC applications open in mid-April and close on 9 June, 2017. Be sure that your application is finalised by the VTAC closing date.
All other international students
All other international students are required to apply directly to the University of Melbourne for mid-year entry.
Applications should be made online by the end of May for studies commencing in July.
Find detailed advice and instructions on the application process here.
How does mid-year selection work?
Applications will be assessed either by faculty staff or International Admissions staff depending on the course selected and whether you want to be considered for credit.
The University will send an acknowledgement letter to you by email as soon as you successfully submit your application.
The acknowledgement letter will include your unique student number and application reference number. Please quote this number in all correspondence with the University.
Credit for previous studies
Credit (also known as Advanced Standing) means you won’t have to repeat subjects that have equivalents in your new course, and you’ll be able to finish your course sooner.
Credit for completed tertiary studies may be granted if they are comparable in content, equivalent in standard and relevant to the new course. Faculties specify the maximum credit allowable and publish guidelines. You can apply for credit from within the online application.
Deferral policy for mid-year entry
International students offered a place mid-year may apply to defer the start of their course. Once you have received your offer, you can submit a deferral application online.