Mid-year entry: Undergraduate international students

Get a head start! Apply now for mid-year entry.

At Melbourne, we’re accepting mid-year applications into many of our most popular undergraduate courses.

Check out the information below to find out what courses accept mid-year applications. You'll also find links to entry requirements, important dates and how to apply. If you’ve undertaken study at another university, you might even be eligible for credit into your University of Melbourne degree.

The University Residential Colleges also accept mid-year applicants. Find out more

Undergraduate courses available for mid-year entry

The following undergraduate courses are likely to accept applications from international students to commence study in Semester 2:

Some undergraduate courses at Melbourne do not accept applications at mid-year due to the structure of the course.

* The following Bachelor of Science majors cannot be completed within six semesters if commenced mid-year (i.e. Semester 2): Animal Health and Disease; Atmosphere and Ocean Sciences; Food Science; Microbiology, Infection and Immunology.

  • Mid-year entry standards for international undergraduate applicants

    To be eligible for entry to an undergraduate degree you must fulfil all of the following requirements:

    • Completed the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) or an equivalent qualification
    • Completed each of the prerequisite subjects for the course and any prerequisite tests, interviews or auditions (see Course Search for details about prerequisite subjects and scores)
    • Achieved the required marks in each of the prerequisite subjects (see Course Search for details)
    • Achieved the minimum Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR), or notional ATAR for the degree (Detailed information regarding entry scores for international students is available on the Future Students website.)
    • Met the English language requirements
  • Application process for mid-year entry

    Current University of Melbourne international students

    If you're an international student currently studying at the University of Melbourne and you wish to transfer to another University of Melbourne course at mid-year, you must submit your transfer application via the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC).

    Mid-year VTAC applications open on mid April and will close on early June. Be sure that your application is finalised by the VTAC closing date.

    All other international students

    All other international students are required to apply directly to the University for mid-year entry.

    Applications should be made online by the end of May for studies commencing in July.

    Find detailed advice and instructions on the application process here.

  • How does mid-year selection work?

    Applications will be assessed either by faculty staff or International Admissions staff depending on the course selected and whether you want to be considered for credit.

    The University will send an acknowledgement letter to you by email within two days of receiving your application. If you have not provided an email address in your application, we will send your acknowledgement letter to you by mail. Please allow time for this letter to reach your country by standard post.

    The acknowledgement letter will include your unique application number. Please quote this number in all correspondence with the University.

  • Credit for previous studies

    Also known as Advanced Standing, credit for completed tertiary studies may be granted if they are comparable in content, equivalent in standard and relevant to the new course. Faculties specify the maximum credit allowable and publish guidelines. You can apply for credit from within the online application.

  • Deferral policy for mid-year entry

    International students offered a place mid-year may apply to defer the start of their course. Once you have received your offer, please submit a deferral application online.