International undergraduate

Starting at university can be daunting, but applying for a place shouldn't be. Here's a guide to help you through the application process at Melbourne.

Step 1

Before you apply

The first step is to figure out which course you want to study, and if you meet all of that course's entry requirements. At this stage, you should:

If you'd prefer to speak to someone in person about your application, contact a University of Melbourne representative in your country.

Step 2

How to apply

Studying an Australian or NZ Year 12

If you are studying any Australian or NZ year 12 program (including WACE/AUSMAT, SACE/SAM or NCEA) whether in Australia or an another country you should apply through the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC). Full details about the VTAC application process can be found on the VTAC website. Through VTAC, you can list up to 8 course preferences. You should list courses in your order of preference with the course of greatest interest listed first. Be sure that your application is finalised by the VTAC due dates.

If you have previously applied to the University of Melbourne via VTAC but were not offered a place or were offered but never enrolled, you should apply as a new student.

Current University of Melbourne international students

If you're an international student currently studying at the University of Melbourne and you wish to transfer to another University of Melbourne course, you must submit your transfer application via the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC). Be sure that your application is finalised by the VTAC due dates.

All other international students

You can apply online using our e-application.

Please ensure your application is received by us before the relevant deadline. An application fee of AUD$100 applies. This fee is non-refundable.

Alternatively, if you would prefer to apply in person in your own country, we have a number of overseas representatives in a variety of countries. Search our list of overseas representatives to find one near you.

If you have accepted an offer from another institution in Australia, been granted a Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) and want to transfer to the University of Melbourne within the first six months of study you will need a letter of release from that institution. Please see our International Student Transfer Policy for more details.

International Baccalaureate and US Advanced Placement students

You can choose to have your IB or AP results sent directly to the University as soon as they are released. Please make sure you advise us in your application if you have authorised the release of your results.

University of Melbourne AP institution code: 9015
University of Melbourne IB institution code: 002406

Study abroad or exchange

If you're interested in studying at Melbourne for a shorter period - one or two semesters - please refer to the Melbourne Global Mobility site.

Step 3

After you apply - accepting your offer


When you submit your e-application you will be automatically sent an acknowledgement email.  The acknowledgement letter will include your unique student ID and application reference number. Please quote these numbers in all correspondence with the University.

We will begin by checking that your application contains everything we need to begin assessment.  If anything is missing we will email you.

If your application is complete and we do not require any further information then your application will be assessed. This takes approximately two to four weeks for undergraduate courses.

Offer process

If your application is successful, your offer letter will be emailed directly to you (and copied to your nominated authorised representative, unless you have applied through VTAC). If the offer is conditional, then you need to meet the conditions of your offer before accepting the offer. If you have been sent an unconditional offer, you can choose to accept it immediately.

To accept your offer follow the instructions in your offer letter.

If you choose not to accept the offer right away, you can also:

  • Consider deferring your offer
  • Ask to be considered for a different course than the one you originally applied for:
    • If you applied through VTAC, you may be able to change your preferences.
    • If you applied directly using our e-application, you can login to your user account and change your preference order and/or submit a new application.
    • If you applied directly not using our e-application, you will need to submit your change of preference via email to International Admissions.
  • Decline your offer

Unsuccessful applicants will receive a letter by mail (or fax to your nominated authorised representative) explaining why the application has been unsuccessful.

Are you under 18?

If you are an international student who will be under 18 years of age when entering Australia, you will need to confirm you have appropriate accommodation, support and general welfare arrangements in place before you can accept your offer. You will need to meet one of the three requirements below:

  • Living with a parent
  • Living with a relative
  • Other approved care arrangement.

You can also enrol in the University of Melbourne Under 18 Supervision Program. Find out more about students under 18.

Step 4

Preparing for study

Once you've received and accepted your offer, it's time to get ready to move to Melbourne! You'll need to find a place to live, decide whether you need to work while you study and learn about life in your new city. Below are some helpful resources, including enrolment information, to make the transition easier for you.


If you haven't already got your visa to study in Australia, now is the time to do that. All citizens of countries other than New Zealand or Australia need a visa to study here. You should have received information about applying for a student visa with your offer of a place from the University.

Organising your arrival

Each semester, International Student Services organises pre-departure briefings in a number of countries. All commencing international students and their families are invited to attend the briefings prior to your arrival in Melbourne. This will help you understand more about what life in Melbourne will be like.

If you can't make it to a pre-departure briefing or there isn't one near you, don't worry. There is a lot of information right here that can help you find your way.


Finding a place to live can be complicated from a distance. Melbourne offers plenty of housing options. Some students choose to live in campus residences, some choose to stay with an Australian family, while most Australian students choose 'share housing', where a number of students live together close to the University.

Need somewhere to stay until longer term housing is available? You can request temporary accommodation before you arrive in Melbourne. There's also longer term housing available for all students including Study Abroad and Exchange students.

Enrolment and orientation

The first step in your new academic life is enrolling and attending orientation, designed to help ease your entry into campus life. To assist you with your move to Australian tertiary study the Student Connect website has advice and information to help you understand all aspects of university life, including what happens at enrolment and orientation.

Work while you study

Some students choose to work while they’re studying. Student visas allow you to work, however you must comply with the conditions on your visa. For more information, see Work while studying

Fun while you study

Being at university isn't all hard work. Life on campus can be great fun too! For more information on activities and events outside of classes, take a look at the following:

Leadership and Volunteering

Challenge yourself, develop confidence, or enhance your leadership/team and interpersonal skills. Would you like to get involved in the community, connect with others at university and make new friends? How about gaining work experience, going on an adventure or just having fun? If your answer is yes, come and visit Equity and student engagement initiatives.

More services

Check out all of our fantastic support services to help you out while you study. Our services include: Careers and Employment, Child Care Services, Counselling Service and many more. See Services for Students for more information.