Satisfying course prerequisites
There are a number of ways that you can satisfy course prerequisites for our undergraduate degrees:
- Satisfy prerequisites with secondary school studies In most cases, you can meet prerequisites by successfully completing specified Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) Unit 3/4 subjects (or equivalent). Please refer to Course Search for details about prerequisite subjects for VCE students and those from other Australian Year 12 qualifications. You must have completed the prerequisite subjects (with the exception of English) within the last 10 years to ensure that your knowledge is current. Contact us if you’re not sure whether your Year 12 studies satisfy the prerequisites for your preferred course.
- Meet prerequisites with an adult VCE program
- Adult Community Education (ACE)
- Technical and Further Education (TAFE)
- Centre for Adult Education (CAE)
VCE courses (or single VCE subjects) for adults planning to return to study are offered by a range of providers, including:
A full list of VCE providers is available on the Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority (VCAA) website.
- Satisfy prerequisites with the University of Melbourne Community Access Program (CAP)
The University’s Community Access Program (CAP) allows students to study single University of Melbourne subjects. Specific first year University of Melbourne subjects can be completed via CAP (in assessed mode), and, if the required result is achieved, these will be deemed equivalent to meeting the VCE subject prerequisite.
The following prescribed CAP (assessed mode) subjects will satisfy prerequisites:
VCE Units 3 and 4 prerequisite
CAP (assessed mode) subject*
Choose one of the following:
Fundamentals of Chemistry (CHEM10007)
| Choose one of the following:|
Modern and Contemporary Literature (ENGL10001) or Literature and Performance (ENGL10002)
Introduction to Mathematics (MAST10012)
Physics 1: Fundamentals (PHYC10005)
Calculus 1 (MAST10005)
*Refer to the University Handbook for more information about these subjects.
For prerequisite VCE subjects that require a study score of 25 listed above, a pass (50 – 64 per cent) in the corresponding first year CAP (assessed mode) subject will be required to satisfy the prerequisite.
- Satisfy prerequisites with university or TAFE subjects
If you have studied previously at university or TAFE, you may find that subjects you have already completed satisfy the prerequisites for your preferred course. In order to satisfy prerequisites with results from prior tertiary subjects results will usually need to be less than ten years old (with the exception of English).
If you decide to complete single subjects at another tertiary institution in order to meet our prerequisites, it is important that you contact us first to confirm that successful completion of the planned subjects will definitely satisfy University of Melbourne prerequisites.
- Other ways to satisfy prerequisites
Examples of other ways to satisfy University of Melbourne prerequisites are detailed below, but this list is not exhaustive. To discuss these options and others in more detail, please contact us in the first instance:
Meeting the English prerequisite
|Any of the methods listed for satisfying the University’s English language requirement will also satisfy an English prerequisite.|
Meeting the Mathematical Methods prerequisite
Successful completion of the University of Melbourne Calculus and Probability Online subject.
Meeting the Biology prerequisite
Successful completion of UniLearn Biology (which must include online lab activities) with an overall grade of at least 75% satisfies the University’s Biology prerequisite.
Meeting the Chemistry prerequisite
In order to satisfy the Chemistry prerequisite, university or TAFE Chemistry subjects need to include a significant practical component - Online tertiary Chemistry subjects will not satisfy the University’s Chemistry prerequisite. Contact us to confirm if the subject you plan to complete is appropriate.