Options to finance your graduate study

Graduate study offers you an opportunity to enhance your professional qualifications and increase your earning potential. You should consider your tuition fees as an investment in your future and a pathway to lifelong increased salary.

The fees you pay for graduate study will vary depending on the type of enrolment or place you are offered. For example, some graduate courses offer Commonwealth Supported Places (CSPs), where your course fees are subsidised by the Australian Government. Research degrees may be funded under the Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP). If a CSP or RTP funded place is not available, you may be offered an Australian fee-paying place.

The information below provides details about how you can help fund your graduate study, no matter which type of enrolment or place you are offered. For information about the costs of graduate study see domestic graduate students fees.

There are a number of options to help you pay your graduate course fees:

Help with a Commonwealth Supported Place

A CSP is a higher education place where your tuition fees are subsidised by the Australian Government (see the Government's Study Assist website). This makes your fees lower, as you are only paying a proportion of the full cost of your tuition. You pay a student contribution amount, determined each year by the Australian Government, based on the subjects in which you enrol.

Payment of the student contribution amount can be made upfront, or can be deferred through HECS-HELP for eligible students. HECS-HELP works the same way as HECS does for undergraduate study. You begin to repay the loan through your taxes once your income meets a certain threshold ($54,126 in the 2015/2016 financial year).

Help with an Australian fee-paying place


If you enrol in an Australian fee-paying place, the Australian Government's FEE-HELP loan program allows you to defer your tuition fees*, similar to the way you can defer student contributions via HECS-HELP. If you are eligible, you can defer all or part of your tuition fees via a government loan, and you won't need to repay it until your income reaches a minimum repayment threshold.

This means you can complete your graduate studies without the worry of paying tuition fees up front every semester.

* Eligibility requirements apply. Normally Australian citizens and permanent humanitarian visa holders only.

Tax deduction

If your course is sufficiently related to your current employment, you may be entitled to claim a tax deduction for the cost of your tuition fees. For further information about claiming self education expenses, consult your accountant or the Australian Taxation Office.

Fee remission scholarships

Some scholarships cover either part of or the whole of your fees or may guarantee you a CSP.

Help with living costs

Youth Allowance, Austudy and Abstudy

Many graduate courses at Melbourne have been approved by the Australian Government for student income support payments such as Youth Allowance, Austudy or Abstudy. Eligible students undertaking approved graduate degrees at Melbourne may be eligible for these student income support payments.

Scholarships and bursaries

The Melbourne Scholarships Program is one of the most comprehensive and generous scholarship programs in Australia. It recognises outstanding academic achievement and acknowledges our desire to provide access to higher education to students who might otherwise be excluded by socioeconomic, cultural, geographic and other disadvantages.

Faculties and Graduate Schools also offer a number of other scholarships and bursaries, so make sure you contact the Faculty or Graduate School for the course you're interested in to find out what is available.

Student Financial Aid

The University's Student Financial Aid Service can provide you with advice and information on:

  • Student loans and bursaries/grants
  • Government student assistance, including Austudy, Abstudy or Youth Allowance
  • Cost of living
  • Budgeting
  • Tax

Student Financial Aid is open to all University of Melbourne students for advice and information.

Visit the University's Student Financial Aid service