At Melbourne, we offer single subject study in a huge variety of areas. Whether it's early childhood education, music theatre or bushfire management, you're sure to find a single subject that suits your goals and interests.
Take a look at the Handbook for details of all subjects offered and click through to see detailed information about specific subjects.
You may also like to browse the websites of our Faculties and Graduate Schools to get a taste of what’s available.
Quota restrictions may apply for high-demand subjects. In these cases selection into the subject may be based on academic merit and you may need to supply a supporting statement to enhance your chances of selection. If the number of available places in a quota-restricted subject are filled prior to the application closing date for Semester 1 your application will automatically be considered for Semester 2 (where the subject is offered in both semesters).
Further details about quota subjects and the application and selection process can be found at:
If quota applies to a subject it will be noted in the Dates & Times section of the Handbook entry for that subject:
Subjects not available through CAP
Not all subjects are available for single-subject study. Faculties/graduate schools reserve the right to limit the availability of some subjects to those students enrolled in award degrees only. Where restrictions apply the details are listed below.
Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences
Some subjects are quota limited and have very strict application deadlines, as outlined on the MDHS website.
Refer to the Melbourne School of Psychological Sciences website for more information about the single subjects that are available to CAP students.
Please note that fourth year Psychology subjects are not available to CAP students, with the exception of applicants who have a written recommendation from the Australian Psychological Society indicating that they need to complete fourth year subjects for registration purposes. Contact the fourth year Psychology Coordinator for further information.
Faculty of Science
The following subjects are not available for single-subject study (except for Indigenous students whose eligibility to undertake the subjects has been approved):
- Foundation Mathematics 1 (MAST10014)
- Foundation Mathematics 2 (MAST10015)
- Science: A Study of Life and Environment (SCIE10001)
- Science: Systems, Technology and Design (SCIE10002)
- Science: Supporting Health and Wellbeing (SCIE10003)
Melbourne Business School
Subjects in the Master of Business Administration (MBA) are not available as single subject enrolments.
The following Specialist Certificate subjects are not available as single subject enrolments:
- Leading High Performance Teams
- Stakeholders and Internal Influence
- Motivating and Managing Performance
- Resilient Leadership
- Positive Leadership Development
- Project Management Fundamentals
- Strategic Awareness and Business Acumen
- Managing Innovation
- Strategic HR Leadership
- Influence and Negotiation Strategies
- Decision Making for Leaders
Melbourne Graduate School of Education
Master of Teaching subjects are not available as single subjects through CAP.
Melbourne Law School
- List of Melbourne Law Masters subjects and individual subject information.
- List of Juris Doctor subjects available to overseas trained professionals with a legal qualification.