Student support

When you are enrolled, Stop 1 is your first point of contact for advice regarding course planning, ongoing enrolment, pathways to future employment. Advisers can assist you with queries about academic progress and life on campus, as well as study abroad, exchange, volunteering and community engagement opportunities.

Services include:

Support while you study

Individual faculties and graduate schools provide course advisers, mentor programs and buddy schemes.

We tailor the support you need. For undergraduates, our new curriculum pays special attention to your first and final years, facilitating your transition in to and out of the University, or on to further study. For graduate research students, the Melbourne School of Graduate Research provides a comprehensive range of activities and resources to support you from commencement to completion.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students

Indigenous Student Programs (one of four program areas within Murrup Barak - the Melbourne Institute for Indigenous Development) can provide support services to you if you are an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander student currently undertaking undergraduate and graduate courses at the University of Melbourne or its affiliated institutions.

Child care

The University offers Child Care Services for the children of students and staff. The centres cater for children from three months old until primary school age, but you need to apply early as demand is high for the limited number of places available.


If you are living with a health condition or impairment that might influence your participation at University, you're not alone. Hundreds of students like you successfully manage their studies with the help of the Disability Liaison team, who provide advice, information and services (e.g. alterations to assessment, accessible formats, liaison with academic staff).

International student services

International Student Services (ISS) provides a cycle of support for international students and your families from pre-arrival to returning home. Visit ISS for information on visas, welfare and general support, advocacy and bringing families to Australia.

International students under 18

If you are an international student who will be under 18 years of age when entering Australia, you will need to confirm you have appropriate accommodation, support and general welfare arrangements in place before you can apply for a student visa. You will need to meet one of the three requirements below:

Student programs

First Year: Enrolment, Orientation and Transition

Enrolment and the Orientation Program are the start of your academic year with the University of Melbourne. It is a great time to become familiar with the University and meet new people. Find out more about the programs, and learn more about what to expect of university life and how to be prepared.

Language and academic skills

The Academic Skills team can help you maximise your independent learning potential by providing individual tutoring, workshops and short courses which involve researching and writing, exam preparation and oral presentations. For interactive academic online services visit the Academic Interactive Resources Portal (AIRport).

Leadership and volunteering

The Office of Student Equity manages a number of equity and student engagement initiatives.

Student wellbeing services


The Counselling Service provides high quality, professional and confidential counselling, free of charge to all students of the University. The Service also offers a series of free workshops and groups each semester on a wide variety of topics linked to your personal and academic effectiveness.


For any health concerns you may have, you can consult the doctors at the Health Service. They can help you with travel health and vaccinations, contraception and sexual health, work/sport injuries, allergies and mental health concerns, such as anxiety, depression and eating disorders.

Safety on campus

We believe that everyone should feel safe while on campus, and personal safety is important to us. Our Safer Community Program offers support and advice about safety around campus and personal safety in general. You can also find out more on the Safer Community Program facebook page.

Financial assistance and work

Careers & employment

Looking for work? Careers & Employment (C&E) has plenty of useful information and resources to help you look for work and assist with your career planning. Look for a part-time or casual job on the Careers Online jobs database — with more than 200 part-time and casual jobs on the system per week and 5,000 lodged over the year, it's the ideal place to start job hunting.


If you are facing genuine financial hardship, you can access interest-free loans and grants through Student Financial Aid (SFA). SFA can also assist with budgeting advice, government assistance and a range of other matters related to student finances.

Student housing

There are various accommodation options available while you are at the University including residential colleges, student apartments, homestay, private rentals and share housing. Student Housing offers information about each of these and also runs advice workshops about house hunting. A housing noticeboard to search for or list a place to rent is also available.