Making it happen

Choosing to study overseas is an exciting process, but it can also be a daunting process. Here is some information to help you to plan and make it happen. The Australian Government site also has a list of useful resources that you may find helpful.

Which course?

The first thing you need to do is to find the right course for you. Try using our Course Search or browse through a student prospectus.

Entry requirements

The next thing to do is to check the University's entry requirements to ensure that you are eligible for undergraduate or graduate study. If your qualifications were taught in English, it's likely you will satisfy the University's English language requirements. If not, you may need to satisfy one of a number of other conditions.


Next, you will need to make sure you can afford to study at Melbourne. You will need to be able to cover tuition fees, as well as meet your living costs. The Student Services site has some good information about the cost of living and studying in Melbourne.

You may be eligible for US or Canadian financial aid, and there are also a number of scholarships available. Should you choose to work while you study, you can find help at our Careers and Employment site.


As you start planning your study experience, it's important to think about your housing. You may prefer to live on campus in one of the 12 residential colleges, with a local family at a homestay, in a shared house with others or in your own apartment. Whatever your preference, the Student Housing Service has plenty of resources to help find and choose the right option for you.

Visas and health insurance

Once you've been accepted into your chosen course, it's time to start planning the details. Two important details are your student visa and health insurance arrangements.

Any student wishing to study at the University of Melbourne for more than three months must obtain a student visa. You cannot travel to Australia as a tourist and expect to study, as this is considered to be a violation of a visitor visa. The processing time for an American or Canadian citizen to get a student visa to Australia is relatively straight-forward and short as it can be completed online.

If you are staying for 12 months or longer, medical exams may be required. When you apply through the e-visa system, you will be notified via email if you need to supply x-rays or medical forms. If necessary, medical forms can be downloaded from the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection and mailed to the appropriate Australian embassy or consulate for processing.

You may need to submit a paper-based application depending on your nationality and program of study. You may also need to undergo a chest x-ray, medical exam, IELTS (English language proficiency) exam and pre-visa assessment, depending on your country assessment level. For additional information please consult the Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection web site.

If you're under 18 years old, there are also some special conditions you may need to meet.

Planning your arrival

Each semester, the University organises pre-departure briefings in a number of countries for commencing international students and their families. This is a great way to find out more about the University before you arrive in Melbourne. Find out more here.

You will need to plan your arrival to ensure that you have arrived on or before enrolment and orientation for your first semester. Check our Academic Calendar for the full list of relevant dates.

The International Student Services site provides a wealth of useful information to help you prepare for your arrival in Melbourne.