The University of Melbourne is recognised internationally as a leader of higher education in Australia. As one of our graduate researchers, you will work with leading experts in your field in first rate facilities.
We offer Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Master of Philosophy (MPhil) and named research masters and research doctorate degrees. Information on the degrees available and their requirements are available via our list of research areas.
We particularly welcome Indigenous Australians and Torres Strait Islanders to join our graduate research community. Read more about our Indigenous research initiative, and the support we can provide to develop your research idea.
We support our graduate researchers with:
- opportunities to undertake a jointly awarded PhD with our international partners
- thematic PhD Programs to enhance the graduate research experience and career outcomes
- a comprehensive range of professional development opportunities
- generous scholarship programs and
- a comprehensive support network.
More than 500 living allowance scholarships are offered to domestic and international students annually.
Most Australian and New Zealand citizens and Australian permanent residents are exempt from paying tuition fees through the Australian Government Research Training Program. International applicants who are eligible for a living allowance scholarship will also be considered for a full tuition-waiver scholarship.
The University of Melbourne has agreements with a number of international sponsors to provide research scholarships to their citizens
- China Scholarship Council
- CONICYT (Chile)
- COLCIENCIAS (Colombia)
- COLFUTURO Loan-Scholarship Program (Colombia)
- FIDERH (Mexico)
- Higher Education Commission, Pakistan
- PRONABEC, Peru
- Vietnam International Education Development(VIED)
How to apply
What happens next?
- You should receive an email to confirm receipt of your application within 5 business days.
- The Faculty/Graduate School will assess your application.
- Depending on the outcome of Faculty/Graduate School assessment of your application, it may be put forward for consideration by a scholarships committee.
- If successful you will receive an unconditional or conditional offer letter, which explains how you can accept your place.
- Applications usually take 8 weeks to process.