Australian students studying overseas

The type of student you are depends on your citizenship – not where you have previously studied. If you are an Australian or New Zealand citizen or an Australian permanent resident, then you are considered a domestic student for the purposes of admission to the University. The information below is intended to answer some questions specific to your situation as an Australian student studying overseas. You should also read our webpage with information for all domestic undergraduate applicants.

How to apply

All domestic undergraduate applicants, regardless of where you complete your secondary schooling, must apply for entry to the University through the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC). VTAC is the central body that administers the application processes for places in tertiary courses in Victoria. VTAC receives your application information and forwards it with the supporting documentation to the University. The application process is online and can be completed from anywhere in the world where internet access is available.

Domestic undergraduate applicants must meet the University’s entry requirements for a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP).

Most courses have two intakes each year – Semester 1 (March) is the main intake and Semester 2 (July) is a smaller intake where availability depends on the structure of the course and the places available. Applications for both intakes are through VTAC and the closing dates can be found on the VTAC website.

Entry requirements

To be eligible for entry to an undergraduate degree, you must fulfill all the following requirements:

  • Complete the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) or an equivalent Australian or overseas qualification. Please refer to the list of equivalent qualifications.
  • Complete and achieve the required grades in each of the prerequisite subjects for the course you are applying for and any additional tests, interviews or auditions (see Course Search for details about prerequisite subjects and scores).
  • Meet the English language requirements.

Entry standards for international students offer a guide to the level of achievement needed for applicants with recognised secondary qualifications from overseas. Note that for domestic students, achieving these minimum entry standards will not guarantee selection to the University. Selection is competitive and will be determined by the number of CSP available and the applicants vying for places. The exact standard required will not be known until after selection has taken place.

Access Melbourne

If you have experienced circumstances that have adversely impacted on your education you may be eligible for Access Melbourne. Access Melbourne is the University’s special entry scheme which can enhance your opportunity for selection, even if your results are below minimum entry standards set for the course.

Offers and enrolment

If your VTAC application is successful, you will receive an offer email from the University with instructions about how to accept your offer and enrol in your course online.

To find out when offers will be released, see the list of important dates.


As a domestic student you will enrol in a CSP, which is subsidised by the Australian Government.

Your student contribution each semester is determined by the Australian Government and the specific subjects in which you enrol.

For further information on subject fees and calculating the cost of your studies, please see Fees for Domestic Undergraduate Students.


The Melbourne Scholarships Program is one of the most generous and comprehensive in Australia. It recognises outstanding academic achievement and works to support access for students who might otherwise be excluded as a result of social or economic disadvantage.

Our scholarships page has information about the range of scholarships available and how to apply.