How to apply
Do you have a question or would you like to sign-up to the UMEP newsletter?Get in touch!
Key dates for the 2018 Extension Program
|Wednesday 13 September 2017||APPLICATIONS OPEN|
|Friday 15 December 2017||VCE Unit 3/4 results released|
|Friday 22 December 2017||Deadline for submission of all supporting documentation, including Year 11 reports and VCE Unit 3/4 results|
|Friday 22 December 2017||APPLICATIONS CLOSE|
|January (dates to be advised)||Selection tests/interviews if required|
|By Friday 19 January 2018||Students advised of application outcome (if complete application was received by 22 December 2017)|
|Friday 26 January 2018||Extension Program Welcome Day|
|Late January 2018||School Centre classes commence (for off campus students)|
|Monday 26 February 2018||Semester 1 classes commence (for on campus subject areas)|
|Monday 23 July 2018||Semester 2 classes commence (for on campus subject areas)|
Confirm your eligibility
To receive an offer for the Extension Program you need to meet both general requirements that apply to every participant and requirements that apply to the specific subject area you wish to study. See this page for details of the eligibility criteria.
Research and choose the subject area you wish to apply for
There are 29 subject areas available. You can choose only one to study. See the full list of subject areas.
When researching your preferred Extension Program subject area it is important that you consider:
- What the subjects are about and if you will enjoy them
- The timetable and the number of contact hours
- The class location and the ease of transport to and from classes
- What kinds of assessment the subjects involve
- Whether you will meet the prerequisite requirements
Seek school and parent or guardian permission
Before applying for the Extension Program it is important that you seek permission from your school and your parent(s) or guardian(s).
Undertaking the Extension Program requires considerable commitment and you should discuss responsibilities such as your Year 12 studies, sport and part-time work with your support network. Your school and your parents or guardians will be able to provide you with the best advice to ensure that you are best prepared to complete your Year 12 studies successfully.
The 'Parent/Guardian Permission Form' and the 'Teacher Recommendation and Principal Approval Form' must be completed and submitted in support of your online application. Please follow the instructions on these forms carefully to ensure that your application is complete.
Submit an online application
Once you have established that you are eligible for the Extension Program, you will need to submit an online application.
Once you have registered your name, contact details and citizenship, you will be able to commence a course application:
- To begin the Extension Program application, just enter the Course Code ‘NA-UMEP’ into the ‘Course Code’ box on the Course application page, then click the ‘Search’ button,
- Once the Extension Program is listed (‘University of Melbourne Extension Program - NA-UMEP’), click the blue ‘Add’ button next to the '2018, Fee Exempt, Part Time, On Campus, Standard' option.
Please note: All Extension Program subject areas are classified as ‘On Campus’, even those that are delivered at School Centres.
- Once the University of Melbourne Extension Program has been added to your application, you will need to click the blue ‘Proceed with Application’ button (at the bottom right of the screen).
- There are no scholarships associated with the Extension Program (as all subject areas are tuition fee exempt), so you will need to click the blue ‘Skip this step’ button on the ‘Search for a scholarship’ screen.
- You should also click the blue ‘Skip this step’ button on the ‘Advanced Standing Application’ screen.
- Once the Extension Program is listed on the ‘Courses’ screen, click the blue ‘Proceed with Application’ button.
- You will now need to complete all online application requirements, including uploading the 'Parent/Guardian Permission Form', the 'Teacher Recommendation and Principal Approval Form', and any other documentation you wish to supply to support your application.
Your online application for the Extension Program cannot be submitted until you have provided answers to all the mandatory questions in the online application and clicked the 'Save & Continue’ button.You can click the blue ‘Save’ button at any time, then return to your application later (make sure that you always log back in to your application using the ID number and password that the system automatically emails to you after you have registered your name and contact details).
Submit your results
Once you have successfully submitted your online application you will receive an automatic email from the University, confirming receipt of your 2018 Extension Program online application. While this email confirms that your online application has been submitted successfully, you must still make sure all required documents (including results) are attached to your application by Friday 22 December in order to be considered for a place in the 2018 Extension Program.
Complete the process by logging back into your online application to submit:
- Complete copies of your Year 11 school reports (both semester 1 and semester 2), including details of all VCE Unit 1/2 results, or Year 11 IB results (please include a grading scale key so that your results can be easily standardised for assessment purposes). If you completed any Unit 1/2 subjects prior to Year 11 please also submit the reports for these.
- A copy of your official ‘Statement of results’ for any VCE Unit 3/4 subjects that you have completed in Year 11 or earlier (if applicable)
- A copy of your VASS ‘Full Details Report’ (your school should be able to provide this)
- If you will be away in December you must make arrangements for another person to submit your school reports, VCE Unit 1/2 and 3/4 (if applicable) results (or your Year 11 IB results) to the Extension Program office on your behalf.
It is your responsibility to submit your documentation by midnight on Friday 22 December 2017.
If you have questions about your Extension Program application, please call the Extension Program office on 8344 5538 or send an enquiry.